Wednesday, September 14

You know how sometimes you wonder about things and then life dumps something right on your doorstep.

Last night was such a night for Me. I am huge fan of fate anyway so when she does Me the pleasure of reminding Me that it is "not for naught", I am floating for days.

Here are some elements you need to understand before you can comprehend why this was such a moving event. I have a little Maltese puppy named Max. He's the best dog ever. I live in a neighborhood that does not approve of My wife and I living here because we are openly gay. Not one person has ever even introduced themselves and we have lived here over a year. I have recently become extremely fed up with all the Bible thumpers around here going on and on and on about Hurricane Katrina and thinking the way to help these people is to preach to them to have faith instead of giving them some food or clothing.

Those are the main points.

So, last night around 830pm I let my dog out as I do every night for his final preparations of the night. He immediately took off running and disappeared. He never does this. I was calling for him and couldnt find him. I walked up and down the street a little bit but I didnt want to leave my sleeping children alone, so I came back inside. I was chatting with the boi online as she was at work and telling her that I could not believe he had run off. About twenty minutes later, I hear a knock at my door. This is odd because no one ever really comes over to my house uninvited and I dont know anyone from the neighborhood. So I say through the door, "Who is it?"


I hear a voice that says, "My name is Wayne and I am staying with the Johnsons a couple of doors down. They are my cousins."

I am thinking, "I have no idea who you are talking about and why should this warrant me
opening my door?" But on the outside I say, " Uh huh."

"Do you have a little white maltese?"

I open the door as fast as I can and see my little Max safe and sound in this man's arms licking his hand. "Max!"

To make a long story short, Max had run into this man's cousin's backyard where he is staying along with his 7 miniature dogs....everything from Maltese to Shitzu. He is here because he is from New Orleans. He and his husband of 14 years lost their five bedroom Colonial home that they had just finished renevating less than two months ago. They did not have flood insurance as every older person who lived in the neighborhood assured them that it had never flooded. It is now under 20 feet of water. They have one friend who was like a brother to them that has still not been found. He relayed his story to me with tears and laughter. I responded with the same. We stood outside in the Alabama summery night and bonded. It was real. It wasnt the news or some church group knocking on my door. This was a real person who kept stumbling over refferring to himself as "homeless" as if he couldnt quite make himself believe it. He was thrilled to have information on the "gay scene" as small as it is here. This isnt something they mention to you at the aid stations. I invited him to the cookout we are having Saturday and to go out with the boi and I Saturday night.


I hope he comes.

Siren

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Damn, thats a really touching story. Has Wayne checked the several websites that have lists of loved one loking fro eachother. I do hope that he and his husband went out with you and your boi on Saturday.

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the first time I've read your blog. And I am so glad because it was just what I needed.

I can't beleive how happy I am that someone I don't know has made a new friend.

Fate can be such a beautiful blessing.

9:42 PM  
Blogger DarkRebelSiren said...

Ah, Chantal. So very nice to have you lurking about. ::smiles::

::hugs My rope buddy:: Where have you been hiding?

Thank you so much, Onyx. We have formed a fast friendship and his husband is lovely too. In fact, they are goign to stay in the area until it is safe for them to go back to New Orleans and build.

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Counters